Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thing 4

Setting up the RSS reader with Google was a snap, since I already had an account with them from setting up this blog. Suddenly, I was "subscribed" to all the 23 things blogs I had already been "following." The layout of my google reader isn't very pleasing to the eye, or any easier to read than my "dashboard" so I'm not terribly excited about this appearent duplication. Then I shot on over to my favorite blog, Jeff Master's weather underground blog and clicked on the orange RSS icon. Did I want to subscribe to this feed Microsoft asked me? Um. Yes? Then I had a similar unappealing look to Jeff Master's blog as the google reader, but no Jeff Masters in the actual reader. After some exploration of the help function, I found out I had to "export" my feed to the google reader. Then I had a blasted Microsoft Feeds folder in there. I deleted this abomination. Finally - Jeff Masters in my google reader. I still think it will be easier to click on the link to the actual blog in my favorites.

I browse several newspapers online, but I don't think I want to subscribe to them. Imagine all those news articles cluttering up my reader everyday. I like to be able to just browse. Maybe I'm not understanding this RSS thing. Or maybe I'm just not the prolific type of web surfer RSS feeds are supposed to cater to. Either way, I'm glad to be done with this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment