Monday, March 2, 2009

Thing 10

How do we make our library delicious to our patrons? There's that darned social networking again. As I've said before, it freaks me out. I don't really care what the rest of the world is bookmarking, nor do I care to share. Organizationally, it doesn't make that much of a difference to me that I can have all my bookmarks accessible from any computer.

I do think tagging might have value for the library. It can make the catalog more interactive and user friendly. Same for the library's recommended bookmarks. But does the library really need to be a part of Delicious? I decided to force myself to try it out and sign up for an account. Super easy. But now what? I tried tagging all my bookmarks. Neat - a little list of all the subjects that are important to me. Lists are fun. I wonder who else has Jeff Master's blog bookmarked, no wait, no I don't, on second thought, I'm actually VERY BORED.

I tried watching the webinar about Delicious http://www.opal-online.org/5weeksGriffey20070222.htm but unfortunately fell asleep 10 minutes into it. I read the article Seven Habits of successful Delicious users http://www.allbusiness.com/management/change-management/3875646-1.html and realized that Delicious is for serious web explorers. There may be potential there for finding some cool websites, but at this point, I don't really have the time or motivation to explore.

Has anyone found any interesting websites via Delicious? It doesn't seem that user intuitive or well organized. For example, did you know you had to add a plus sign between tags to find entries that contain both those tags?

For now I will congratulate my library on adding taging and reviewing capabilities to the new version of our much maligned aquabrowser catalog search tool. If the staff member here in charge of bookmarks wants to look into Delicious, I say more power to ya, let me know what you find out.



This is what I have to show for my Delicious adventure. I have shared with you. I have shivers down my spine.

No comments:

Post a Comment